Studies, Translation and Pedagogy. The English Department conducts Entrance Examinations for admission to all the programmes. Following are details of the courses, eligibility and application procedure:
1) M.A. English: Duration of the programme is four semesters. The programme covers areas in English Language and Literature such as Shakespeare and the Seventeenth Century, 18th Century, Romantic,Indian Writing in English, American Literature, Victorian and Modern British Literature, New Literatures, Literary Criticism and Theory etc. Written Entrance Examination of M.A. English consists of three sections. These are as follows:
1) Section I : Language (Objective type) - 25 Marks
2) Section II : Essay on general topics - 40 Marks
3) Section III : Poetry Comprehension - 35 Marks
2) M.Phil. in English: This is a one year or two semester programme which includes course work and dissertation. For admission to the M.Phil. programme in English, applicants must submit a brief description of their proposed topic of research in about 500 words. M.Phil. written entrance examination consists of 3 sections. Sections II and Section III consists of separate sets of
questions for language and literature.
3) Ph.D. in English: The Ph.D. programme in English at University of Hyderabad normally consists over a minimum period of two years. Candidates have to submit a research proposal of not more than 1000 words along with application. The Department of English admits students for research both at the M.Phil and at the Ph.D levels in all major areas of English Studies such as Literature, Cultural Studies, Language, Comparative Literature and Translation. Ph.D. entrance examination consists of 3 sections. All sections contains separate sets of questions for language and literature. There will be questions in objective type, essay type and also some questions on research aptitude.
Model papers and previous question papers of M.A, M.Phil and Ph.D Entrance Examinations can be obtained from the library of the University. You can get last 5 or 10 years question papers from the library. More details of the department, courses, exam pattern and nature of questions may also available on HCU website at www.uohyd.info OR www.uohyd.ernet.in .